Location: Montreal

Hello all! I know you've been waiting for a blog post for a while now, so here we go! I'm going to start with Montreal, where I attended the World Weather Open Science Conference. The WWOSC draws people from all over the world to discuss the newest, most innovative research projects and form connections for future collaboration. I presented my poster there, and someone actually asked me if this was my postdoc research! He looked suitably impressed when I corrected him (it's my Master's work). Fun fact: Montreal has two universities with atmospheric science programs. One is McGill University, which I almost applied to for grad school. The other is the University of Quebec at Montreal, which is the only school in North America to teach atmospheric sciences in French!
Dress courtesy of Keri Santeiu, because she knows how to dress.
Derek (my adviser), Wil, and I made sure to sample the classic Canadian dish poutine, which is a bunch of fries smothered in cheese curds, beef gravy, and pretty much anything else you desire. Dexter tried some too!
Dexter is ready for this artery-clogging goodness.
The convention center hosted a new Guinness World Record: a line of more than 40,000 cans of baked beans! We watched it develop throughout the conference.
Mmmmm, beans.
Of course, we visited plenty of churches (Montreal is the City of a Thousand Steeples) and climbed the "mountain", Mount Royal, which has two large cemeteries at its top. The view was spectacular!


I went to Mass (in French) at this one!
Montreal gets very cold in the winter, so the city has a vibrant underground network of shops and walkways. We found one!
Totally and completely empty now that it's summer, though.
Finally, Wil took this super cool picture with a neat statue (zoom in!).
Amy should Photoshop Theo fighting it!
All in all, although we had some close shaves with printing my poster, Montreal was great. We got to visit with old friends, make new ones, and explore the city!
View from Mount Royal, looking over Montreal.
Keep your eye out for the next blog post later today: Istanbul!

Comments

  1. Wow such an exciting life you and Wil lead! Though now I know what your "rocky start" was about, with the poster print. Glad all went well, and that your rocked the conference! Thanks for the updates and pictures!! Xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)