Lazy Saturday, or What to Do When Your Husband Is Working and You Aren't

Wil's job selling ridiculous amounts of window coverings means that his "weekend" doesn't actually happen on the weekend, so I had much of Saturday and Sunday to myself. Since I like to take soup for lunch (minimal preparation necessary before my 7:26am bus), I decided I'd make up a big pot of soup using a mashup of a few recipes and just see how it turned out. Here's a summary of my process!

1. Walk to the store and buy groceries. Make sure to get the aisle with the super cute little old checkout lady.

2. Walk home. Be a bum for a while, you can always shower later. Do some laundry. Find Thor on TV while channel-surfing. Choose Thor over Swamp People and decide to start cooking.

3. Dump 2 cartons (64oz) of stock into a pot (I used 1 carton beef, 1 carton chicken, but veggie stock would work too). Add some salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, and other general Italian-type seasonings, and bring to a boil.

4. Add all your veggies to the boiling stock. I used a bag of frozen mixed vegetables that I found in the store entitled "Soup Vegetables", which I bought for exactly this reason. I also added in about half a head of green cabbage, chopped. Turn down the heat a little and simmer.

Look at all those tasty vegetables!
5. In the meantime, chop up an onion. Put your ~1.5 lb ground meat (I use bison or venison) in a skillet to brown. Immediately remember that you were supposed to remove your laundry 5 minutes ago from the two dryers you share with 19 other apartment units.

6. Brown up your meat, and then saute the onions (and cabbage, if you feel so inclined) in the meat juices. If there aren't very many juices because you used lean meat, add a little oil. Add meat and onions to the pot and simmer for about 45 minutes.

Wil was worried about the cabbage, but it was a great addition.
7. Retrieve and fold your laundry. Drool over Chris Hemsworth.

Mmmmmmmmm.
8. Rummage in your cabinet and add some grains (if desired) and beans to your soup--gotta bring down that cholesterol! I used about 3/4 c. barley, 1 can Great Northern Beans, and 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Simmer for another 30 minutes.

9. Serve hot, and add some more seasonings (or hot sauce) for taste if necessary. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)