It's still cold in May!

Here in Wisconsin, we've only had a few days of 70+ degree weather this year, and it's halfway through May! Yesterday, Maine broke its May snowfall records, and my mom sent me a picture of snow in Michigan last Sunday. Thankfully, this week looks like summer...maybe it'll stick around for good!

In an effort to save money, eat healthier, and waste less food, I've begun to plan our meals out every week. I've tried this in the past and fallen off, but this time it's going to stick. We've been spending too much on food - both on groceries and at restaurants, coffee shops, etc. - and that's so easy to fix, I just need to make a better effort.

I looked up best practices for saving money on food and proper meal planning, and found a very achievable goal: $100 per person per month, or $50 per week for us. We weren't spending too much more than that, but sometimes we'd have a bad month, and I don't want that to happen anymore. As an extra challenge, I'm going to try to make that include groceries and prepared food! We'll see how it goes :)

Our meal plan this week includes sandwich supplies that Wil keeps at the office; I typically enjoy having dinner leftovers for lunch the next day and on Wednesdays, when I go right from work to church choir. With than in mind, this is what I've made/am making this week!


Canadian Bacon Strata, a half recipe (made with some small Asiago rolls I got from the bakery)
Baked Cod, with tortilla chips and cheese we already had in stock
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken, which we've tried before and it's amazing
Baked Eggs, for a delicious Saturday or Sunday brunch, depending on how we're feeling
And, of course, cereal, pancakes, salad, rolls, and fruit to round everything out. My final recipe is one I made tonight and that I'd love to share: stuffed chicken breasts! They look amazing and came together so, so easily. Enjoy!

Stuffed Chicken Breasts
3 chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
Fillings of your choice; I used mozzarella and pepperoni that was in the fridge, and I bought spinach from the salad bar (I didn't need much, so it only cost me $0.19!)
Olive oil
Toothpicks


1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Arrange your fillings in little bowls or on a plate. You don't want to reach into your bag of shredded cheese with raw chicken hands!
3. Pat the chicken dry; season both sides with salt and pepper.
4. Carefully use a sharp knife to slice a pocket into your chicken and stuff the pocket with your fillings. Use toothpicks to hold everything together for cooking.
5. Heat some olive oil in an oven-safe skillet and add chicken. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, flip, and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes (I think chicken is done when it's 165 F inside).


Remove the toothpicks (important!), serve with a salad and a roll, and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)