Big Girl Pancakes

Apparently I've had 80 pageviews over the past few days! I'm not sure where all those pageviews are coming from, but thanks for reading :)

Yesterday I actually experimented with food for the first time.  I usually experiment by trying new recipes, but this time I switched it up a bit.  Therefore I present to you...


FRUIT PANCAKES!



Now, you might be thinking to yourself, "Why is Sam so excited about fruit pancakes? Everyone puts fruit in their pancakes, you just fold in some berries and it's go time!"  However, I've always found it weird to bite into a pancake, expecting soft fluffy deliciousness, and instead encounter a berry that bursts and squirts juice all over my clothes.  (Yes, that happens.  Probably just to me, but whatever.)  For a while I've been toying with the idea of replacing liquid in pancake recipes with pureed berries, and yesterday I gave it a try!

They. Were. Delicious.

I have a Bisquick mix that I got for Christmas (Funfetti!) so I used the recipe on the box.  I started with 1/2-3/4 cup of berries and a little bit of water in the blender.  Puree those babies until you've got a liquid, and add water (or puree more berries!) until you get the appropriate amount of liquid called for on the box.


Whisk in the appropriate amount of dry mix until the mixture is mostly lump-free.  Don't overmix, and add more water or mix if you think your mixture doesn't look quite right.  It should drip easily off your mixing utensil but not be runny.  Warning: it will be a strange color not normally seen in pancakes.  Since you've added pureed berries you should be expecting this.  However, the intensity of the color might surprise you.  Keri: you will probably not like this because it's a strange color.  :D


Heat a skillet to medium-medium-low on the stovetop in preparation for your amazing creation.  As always, flip the pancakes when little bubbles on the surface of your pancake start to pop.  It doesn't take that long, only a minute or so on each side.


Eat immediately, or refrigerate for later. I actually didn't have any syrup (poor planning on my part) so I just put a little butter on the pancakes.  They were so moist that I didn't even need the syrup!  I find that pancakes reheat best in a toaster or toaster oven.  They're less soggy and droopy that way.  The berry taste is not overwhelming, although if you use raspberries or strawberries you'll still get some crunch from the little seeds.  All in all, vividly colored or not, these pancakes are delicious and a great way to incorporate fruit into pancakes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)