I'm running out of clever titles when I'm clearly just going to show you some yarn.

Who wants a yarn/food/dog update??

My loving brother chose the hardest project of all time as his future gift, which should be done in time for winter 2019-2020 (2020? what???). Both sides are knit at the same time, producing a mirror image in contrasting color on the opposite side. In case you're not familiar with the Rebel insignia, this is going to be a Star Wars scarf. This is knit with KnitPicks Stroll sock yarn, which is really quite squishy and soft.

This is my Find your Fade shawl. It's going to take about 400g of yarn, it's probably going to be 8 feet long, it's going to take me a year to finish, and omg I can't put it down. In this image I'm transitioning to my second color (the green). I have 5 colors, and due to the construction, I'll bring color 1 back in at the very end as well. This is knit with a merino-silk blend from my favorite online yarn dyer, and the colors are just ridiculously stunning.

Socks! I caught the bug! And when my friend told me she wanted to get rid of some yarn, some tough everlasting sock yarn, I said, "yes, of course, I will put myself through sock torture again, but for Wil this time!" And I am, and once again I'm knitting them while on conference calls. All I know about the yarn is that it's Opal brand. 
Mom, Dad, Keri, and three doggos came to visit, and Wil used his new grill to smoke a turkey that was just delicious. Everybody needed a nap after that meal!

We experimented with baking, Great British Bake Off-style. What you see here is a gluten-free tart shell filled with lemon curd and topped with strawberries. All of this was surprisingly easy to make, as long as you read the whole recipe and maybe watch a YouTube video first.
Directions for delicious lemon curd: whisk 2 eggs, 1/2 c. sugar, and 3 T lemon juice together in a saucepan or double-boiler. Cube half a stick of butter and put it in a container you can stick in the fridge, and rest a fine mesh sieve on the container.  Heat the egg mix gently, stirring constantly with a spatula, until you hit 165 degF (which cooks the eggs). Press it through the sieve and mix with the spatula until the butter is melted. Add 1.5 t lemon zest at the end if you want. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the lemon curd you've just made, refrigerate, and enjoy!


I didn't make this...but I'm going to! I have a gray yarn for the body and a really rich, deep blue for the contrast circles at the hem. My first sweater...terrifying and exciting at the same time.

Look at this owl. Just look at it. It's so stinking cute. He's going to someone special for a birthday present, and he's the perfect pattern to use up scrap yarn, which I did here. Does anyone think that Fool's Gold color is familiar? 
Ha! Dad finally got his Christmas present! It's a big fat scarf (11.5" wide) that's got half a kilogram of yarn in it and it's going to keep him warm forever. This is a super duper soft sock yarn I won in a giveaway, and the wool is not itchy for Dad at all.



Let's close this out with a picture of the best dog in the whole world. Kaiser wishes you a happy weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)