Coping with isolation

Happy July (almost August)! I can't believe we've been in Madison for 4 months already. I've got real work now, not just training, and it seems to be going well. The biological scientists of the world are doing even better, as evidenced by the great news coming out about vaccine trials. In the meantime, I'll remind you all to wear masks when out in public, wash your hands and avoid touching your face, and socialize responsibly. Those are pretty easy actions to take when you remember that, by doing them, you're expressing a great respect for life, both yours and those around you. Keep up the great work!

We haven't been doing much because...pandemic. Wil took a road trip to visit his family in Missouri, and we've been spending a lot of time outside to stave off cabin fever. Luckily there's a state trail right behind our apartment, and we're on the outskirts of the Madison area so it's easy to get out.

Appreciate this lovely picture. I sacrificed a lot of blood to the mosquito hordes to get it.

Good dog. Best dog.

One lot on our walk cultivates an amazing assortment of plants.

To basically no one's surprise, I've also been crafting 😄 Even Wil is working on his first cross-stitch project! It's this fantastic, giant colorblock view of Zion National Park. Updates to come on his stuff, and here are some pictures of my latest projects.

Wil's first handknit sweater progressing nicely. Two sleeves now! Two!!

Baby socks for friends. These are great for using up that leftover sock yarn, and the ribbing on the leg and the top of the foot help the sock stay on.

I found a company that sells yarn for dyers at a great cost, so I took a stab at doing something I've always wanted to try: dying a speckly rainbow. I've only ever used food coloring and dip-dyed yarn, so I am pleased with this result.

I got this yarn as a gift years ago, but the project for which it was destined just wasn't right. Now I'm working on the Nautilo shawl, which is the perfect fit. The pattern keeps any colors from pooling together and allows the variation to really shine.

Eternally working on what will be my greatest masterpiece.

Another baby gift - a rattle bunny with nice big earsies 💕

And another baby gift! I love this humpback whale pattern.

If you need fun activities to do at home, with adults OR kids, have a baking competition! Keri's bachelorette party went virtual for health reasons, but we made the best of it by baking a fun themed cake and showing them off on a video call. There were cakes! There were cake pops! There were sculptures! There were props! There was even a sparkler! I highly recommend this activity to connect with family and friends, and you have a tasty treat afterwards.

I went pretty classic with a cabana scene. I think my glittery Speedo toothpick men really set the tone here, lounging on the beach and serving drinks at the bar.


Since I already had the supplies, Wil crafted a squid attack, being fought off by some brave gummy sea bears! Rest in peace, gummy sailors.

Well, that's about it for me today! I know things are hard right now. Our world faces a lot of uncertainty and I've had to re-think how I cope with hardship. But keep your heads up! Pass it on: you are loved and you are worth just as much as any other person. If you don't see those sentiments out in the real world, speak up and change people's hearts for the better. Jesus didn't stay silent when he saw injustice, and neither should you. You all can promote a better world 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)