The Future

I thought I'd take some time to talk about the future, since I've got a busy 6 months or so coming up!  I posted a bit of my news on Facebook but here are some more details!  Disclaimer: Wil and I are crazy people; normal people don't try to do all this stuff in such a short period of time!

First of all, it's officially official: I received an offer letter from the University of Wisconsin-Madison to work as a researcher at the Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies!  There are a few different projects that I might work on; in general, they all deal with satellite observations of high-latitude precipitation (read: rain/snow in regions nearer to the poles than the equator).  I'll also hopefully be able to keep up a bit with the work I'm doing now, which uses a statistical algorithm to study lots of different combinations of parameters efficiently.  We're applying the method to mountain precipitation now, but hope to apply it to other physical processes in the future!

I'll be spending the summer in Alaska, finally reunited with my husband!  Let me tell you, we're not living apart again, ever.  I am done with that!  If you're married and are thinking of living apart for work, try as hard as you can not to do that...it really sucks.  Anyway, I'll continue working as a graduate student from afar, while Wil finishes up his time at AmeriCorps.  Wil's family will join us to travel around Alaska, including Denali and a tour of the Kenai Peninsula!  In August we'll return to Michigan so I can tie everything up at U-M, after which I will be presenting my research at a conference in Montreal.

After that...WE'RE GOING TO EUROPE!  We've thought about this for a long time; now, before we settle into grown-up jobs with limited vacation time, and before Wil starts grad school, and before we buy a house and adopt pets and have children...it's time to travel!  We're stopping off in five countries: Turkey, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Italy.  Turkey is on there because it had the cheapest flights :)  Other than that, Wil really loves Poland and Prague; we have wonderful cousins in Switzerland; and the Pope is in Italy (along with  many other exciting historical and religious things).  My goal is to keep this blog going while we're in Europe, in order to document the most adventurous thing either of us has ever done.  I can't wait!

When we return from Europe, we'll move to Madison where I will begin my job and Wil will hopefully start graduate school.  It's going to be a crazy ride, but I am so excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)