The Bathroom Restoration Journey

Happy February! It's always a good February when you get a whole extra day. Wil and I are spending our extra-long month preparing the house for sale in the hopes that it will go quickly and we can move to Madison with little fuss. More on that later.

But first - crafts!

My favorite indie dyer, Expression Fiber Arts, announced a year-long tea-inspired yarn collection! Once a month she comes up with a new color, and all the colors for the year will coordinate in some way. I'm selling a lot of the yarn that I'm not sure I'll ever use in order to justify buying many of this year's tea yarns. I know the picture is nice, but it doesn't do the real thing justice. My dream is to make a big sweater and a big shawl out of these beauties.

This is a close-up of Keri's wedding shawl (Lyrata). It's coming along; I'm nearing the end. I can't wait to see what it looks like all blocked out.

For a while now I've wanted to make a sweater for our friends' daughter, Ella. This is the Tangent Cardigan crocheted in a Lion Brand cotton yarn. It's pretty soft already and it'll soften up more in the wash. All it needs is sleeves and about a year for Ella to grow into it ;)

This Adama looks weird on its own but will soon drape gracefully across the shoulders of my BFF Olivia. I chose a pattern that works up quickly in a thick yarn on large needles. You can't tell much here, but this gray has subtle mauve tones that really glow. But she lives in Florida! So this has beautiful lacy sections - bunch it up around the neck to stay warm, open it up and drape it more to provide a lighter cover.

This Star Wars double-knit scarf is something we've probably seen before. I've gotten more comfortable with double knitting so it's coming along more quickly. Hopefully my goal of finishing this before the end of 2020 will be achieved.
Ah, homeownership, the bane of my existence. Many of you may know that we bought an old farmhouse that was cosmetically flipped. Unfortunately for us, we found out after living in it that many of the Big House Projects had not been done, probably because the flippers didn't want to spend real money on this house. Enter...us. Oh well. A while ago we discovered water damage from a leaky roof. While the restoration company lacked in the communications department, they did a good job, and the bathroom is finally complete! We even chose a new wall color to further our mission of introducing color into this monochromatic house. Every time I walk into the bathroom I feel a little cheerier with these new blue walls.


One final note is that we're tentatively planning a trip to Iceland with friends in 2021! Once we're out of our project-heavy house we should be able to actually save money for things like retirement and vacations. Wil bought a tome about Icelandic sagas that has been fun to read so far. We're thinking of adopting classic Iceland saga names for our trip, so for 7-10 days in 2021 you may address me as Ingibjörg!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

October 2023

Location: Rome (Part III)